As the sun sets on the lockout laws in Kings Cross, a new Sydney has the potential to emerge. Global Cities After Dark will discuss this new dawn – as local state government and industry come together to discuss future-proofing Sydney’s 24-hour economy.
Over the span of five nights, from Monday the 22nd of March to Thursday 25th of March, Sydney’s night-time economy sector will come together for the first time since the COVID-19 pandemic to actively plan for the implementation of the NSW Government’s 24-Hour Economy Strategy.
Sponsored by the NSW Government and the City of Sydney, Global Cities After Dark Sydney is a VibeLab Asia Pacific initiative, presenting a program of international keynotes, sector-specific workshops. There will also be a ‘Celebrate Local’ closing event, co-designed with local night-time economy sector leaders.
The program will focus on the following sectors within Sydney’s night-time economy:
- Live Music and Entertainment
- Major Events and Tourism
- Transport and Health & Safety
Global Cities After Dark was founded in 2017 by Global Night Mayor of Amsterdam Mirik Milan and VibeLab Asia Pacific Director Jane Slingo.
The program is the first forum in the Asia Pacific dedicated to the night-time and social economy.
The program for the event is:
- Monday 22nd March: Hospitality sector keynote and workshop
- Tuesday 23rd March: Live music and Entertainment sector keynote and workshop
- Wednesday 24th March: Major Events and Tourism sector keynote and workshop
- Thursday 25th of March: Transport and Health & Safety keynote and workshop
- Friday 26th of March: Celebrate Local closing event
Ticket price includes:
- Welcome drink and two-course dinner with paired wines;
- Official welcome from City of Sydney Deputy Lord Mayor Jess Scully;
- In conversation between Michael Rodrigues, NSW’s inaugural 24hr Economy Commissioner and VibeLab’s Mirik Milan discussing Michael’s priorities for 2021 and what this new role needs from the stakeholders and actors within Sydney’s Night-Time Economy. * Michael formally commences the role on 29 March 2021.
- Performances from Barkaa, Kyva and Sarah Houbolt;
- Panel: ‘Future Proofing Sydney’s Hospitality, Live Music and Entertainment sectors’: Kathy Savill; (A Bite at a Time) Paulette Long OBE; (London) Riyaaz Amlani; (Impresario Entertainment and Hospitality, Mumbai) Tanya Ali. (FBi Radio)
- Panel: ‘Future Proofing Sydney’s Major Events, Tourism and Transport sectors’: Carla Theunissen; (City of Parramatta) Mark Curran; (Transport for London) Stephanie Strilakos; (Transport for NSW) Vince Kadlubek. (Meow Wolf, Santa Fe)
Tickets are on sale now with limited capacity due to COVID safety restrictions. For more information and to purchase, please visit globalcitiesafterdark.com/celebrate-local-sydney